Sunday, September 26, 2010

What is Effective Technology Intergration for the 21st Century Learner?

Well here I am, my second blog ever, and I am asked to tackle the question of what is effective technology integration for the 21st century learner? 

I will resist the temptation to wade into a deep intellectual analysis of the potential of what the future holds for technology in the classroom, I have decided instead to follow the age old adage of "keep it simple, stupid."

Technology can be a wonderful thing.  Not only is it here to stay, but it is advancing so rapidly that the average person could not possibly keep up, but the question is how can we anticipate the best use of technology for the modern learner? 

I think we first must separate the idea of technology from the internet.  Technology comes in many forms and has many applications, whereas the internet is a virtual world of possibilities that is accessed through various forms of technology.  The greatest gift that a teacher can give to their 21st century learner is confidence.  Technology itself is ever changing.  Just when we think we have mastered one form of ICT, it becomes outdated.  We must instil in the learner a fearless curiosity and the confidence to tackle any technology head on. 

This, however, comes with a cautionary note, especially when technology is used to access the internet.  The 21st century learner must be taught to be diligent and cautious at all times.  Safety must always prevail over technology. 

There are many ways technology can and will be integrated into the 21st century classroom.  It is the educator's responsibility to keep abreast of current technology and to incorporate it in its many forms, but always as a compliment to the curriculum. 

We can gather knowledge, share opinions and ideas and network with others in a way never before possible.  How technology is applied will depend upon the style and personality of the individual educator, but it is most certainly here to stay and we must do our best to support and encourage students at they grow and learn in every aspect of their education, and certainly, technology will play an important role in fulfilling this responsibility. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.slideshare.net/brettclifton/what-is-effective-technology-integration-for-the-21st

Ways that my presentation is effective:

1. Keep it big - I tried to use easy to read large print, so that my audience would be able to read and understand my points with ease. 

2. Keep it simple - I used keywords and phrases instead of sentences and paragraphs to convey a larger meaning.  This way, the audience will get the fact without the fluff.

3. Use pictures with words - I tried to use simple, interesting and relevant images - less is best.

4. Don't be distracting - I did not use sound effects, wild colors or graphics, none of which would compliment the theme of the presentation.

5. Don't be redundant - Repetition is boredom.  I tried to be concise and to present my own original ideas.  Anyone can regurgitate, it is better to think for yourself.


All for now,
-Brett

No comments:

Post a Comment